Thursday, February 09, 2012

Ice on the bikeway

A few days ago I saw Grumpy Cyclists video about ice on the cycle lane. Then the next day I saw some ice, too. So I decided to make a video response. For the price of one, I decided to lump three clips on to one upload.

First (and third) clip was shot on a warm February day. It was -5°C and it was snowing all day. The cycling conditions were pretty good, except for little snow banks left by the snow plows and the icebergs on the bikeway. And bringing a bike from a warm garage and riding it through the snow is not the best thing to do, especially if you have the rim brakes. You'll have ice on the brakes. Which I found out on the downhills to the river.

Second clip was shot the next day. The warm weather was just a warm memory. The highest temperature that day was -25°C. You'll notice how different the snow sounds under the wheels. The icebergs have been crushed/plowed away.

Unfortunately youtube blew up again. I managed to upload the video, but for some reason I haven't been able to add annotations to it. I open the video manager, click edit annotations and the annotation page loads. The pulldown menus are grayed out, so I can't edit anything. :-/ It happened to me before and I couldn't figure out what to do to fix it. I just kept trying it for a week or two before it just worked. Any clues?

Click on Ice on the bikeway to see it on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment