Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A difficult photoshoot

Last night i was on my way when I spotted something interesting and I wanted to take a photo of it. That turned out to be pretty hard, but I'm posting the best shots here. As I suspected last night, I wasn't able to get a photo of it today because there was a bit of fresh snow.

Here's a generic view: a bikeway through the woods, after 2100hrs (9 pm). The only light is from the streetlights above. Obviously the dynamo lamp does not give any light when stopped and the see-me led light does not give enough to be any use.
Another shot, from a crouched position.  A bit closer to the object of interest, but still not obvious what I'm trying to shoot.

And for some reason my thigh muscles cramped when I got up. Looks like stretching is dangerous! :-P
Here's a shot taken from the surface of the moon... or the bikeway from above. The object is clearly visible, but otherwise the photo is pretty boring.
And what do these photos show us? A lump of snow on the snowy bikeway? Exactly! We're having a heat wave and the temperatures have been above freezing (+1C or +2C). That means that the trees are shedding the snow, and when the bikeway goes near trees they will get their share.

Now, a lump of somewhat fluffy wet snow falls a few meters. What happens when it impacts the ground? It won't be so fluffy anymore. And when it freezes, we have a pot-hill, a pothole in reverse.  Inch  or two high hills made of ice. Very nice!

I thought it would drop below freezing during the night, but it didn't. And it looks like the temperature will be around freezing (-2 to +1) until Friday, and there will be snow and sleet, too. That means the lumps will not survive very long, as the warm weather prevents them from freezing properly and the snow means the snow plows will be around to clean the bikeways.

No comments:

Post a Comment